The last thing you want to deal with at home is damp. Not only will it make a room feel cold or smell musty, but it can also cause structural damage. In some cases, damp may even lead to health problems.

How to Treat Damp in Your Home

If you find damp or mold in your home, follow these steps to treat it right away.

Reduce indoor condensation

Condensation is excess water in the air. If you have damp, you need to reduce the amount of indoor condensation in your home. Start by airing out your home every day in the morning. All it takes is 15 minutes to dry out a room. You should also use lids on your saucepans and consider drying your washing outdoors. When taking a hot shower or bath, open the window to let out any steam. Use a fan to keep the room dry and close the door to prevent the moisture from travelling to other rooms. These simple steps will keep your indoor air dry.



Monitor the temperature indoors

Damp is more likely to form if warm air hits a cold surface, which is especially common in the winter. Take measures to warm up the interior of your home. Add more insulation to the wall and consider upgrading to double-glazed windows. Maintain a cooler temperature indoors. This simple step will prevent sudden dips in the air temperature. If you need to warm up a room, do it sparingly and not for a long period. When the temperature of the air and indoor surfaces remain constant, damp is less likely to form.

How to Treat Damp in Your Home - treating damp

Invest in a dehumidifier

Moist air and cool surfaces don’t mix. Damp and mold cannot form without moisture. However, cold winter days often bring about humidity. You can reduce the amount of water in the air by running a dehumidifier each day. A dehumidifier works by pulling moisture from the air. Dry air will make your home feel warmer and more comfortable. Place this appliance in rooms that seem to be the most vulnerable to damp, such as your bathroom or kitchen.

Remove any mold

Don’t let mold linger in your home. It’s not only unattractive, but it can also infect your lungs. If the problem is small, you may be able to take care of it yourself. However, don’t be surprised if you need to hire a tradesperson to help you out. Always wear goggles, gloves, and a mask to protect yourself from mold spores. Close any interior doors, but open all the windows. Wipe off the mold using a rag and liquid detergent. Be careful not to brush the mold, as it may release the spores into the air. Use a dry rag to remove any leftover water and moisture. After you’re finished, place the dirty rags in a plastic bag and toss them in the rubbish. Never leave damp unaddressed. The sooner you take steps to remedy the situation, the less it will cost you in the long run.