If you are planning to change your home and want to hire help with all or part of the move, these are the steps you must take to organize a successful move and avoid any misadventure during the move.
#1 Plan ahead
It begins at least six weeks before the date of the move, to have enough time to clear and save the contents of each room.
#2 Choose the moving service
The moving services range from simple truck rental to that in which the experts handle all the details, including the assembly of the new house. In the middle, you will find services like help to lift and move heavy objects, or hybrid options in which you pack your possessions in boxes and then the company transports them to your new home. If your new home is not yet ready or you can not put all the stuff at same time in your new home than you should consider using moving company’s long term storage center to store your stuff until you are ready to move them in.
#3 Do the calculations
The costs of a move within the country are usually calculated using a combination of weight and distance, while local moves within the city are usually charged per hour and per worker. Generally, the costs reflect the type of move and the level of service. When choosing a moving company do not choose only based on the price, but also on the reputation of the company.
# 4 Choose wisely the moment, if possible
You will spend less if you avoid the summer months, or if you move between 10 and 20 of any month, because of low demand from customers between these days.
# 5 Pay attention to scam signals
Scam artists plague the moving industry. Do not trust companies that:
- They provide an estimate of the cost without seeing your house. The most accurate estimate comes from a visit to your home and sees exactly what you have to transport from one home to another.
- Answer the call with a generic greeting, such as “moving house” or “moving company.”
- They do not have a local address, nor information about business registration or insurance.
- It charges differently than the norm, such as for cubic feet.
- Requires payment in cash or a large deposit before moving.
- Use a generic truck (without the name of the company) or rented.
- It demands extra money after charging, saying that the estimate only covers some charges, or that your possessions weigh more than estimated.
#6 Know your rights
You must know if the price estimate is binding or if it can change. A binding budget cannot be changed, even if the actual cost is greater than estimated. Ask for a written copy of the estimate. To avoid hidden or extra expenses, ask if it includes charges for fuel, equipment, and travel for workers traveling to and from your new home.
# 7 Clarifies the issue of coverage
It is always better to hire a moving company that not only secures your vehicles but also your cargo, taking responsibility for the total value of the items you transport. You can also choose to hire yourself an insurance for your move, sometimes through your home insurance provider.