Great miter saws are staples for home or work projects, since they allow you to cut wood at any angle. Making sure you buy a saw that’s top quality can be difficult, so take a look at this miter saw resource if you’d like some help navigating the market.
Why Should You Get a Miter Saw In The First Place?
Miter saws allow you to make cuts that are straight and free of splinters, especially if you’re interested in doing your own miter joints without gaps, custom crown molding or trim. You can also use a miter saw to create items such as picture frames, door frames, pieces of decks, and even furniture. Miter saws are also excellent tools if you need a lot of small pieces created from quick cuts. They’re easy and convenient to use.
Three Things You Should Consider
Blades usually come in sizes of either 10 or 12 inches. You’ll need different sized blades, for different projects. Generally, a good bet is to get a 10 inch, especially if you’re a beginner. There will be a bigger selection at the store, and it will be cheaper. The smaller the number, the faster the spin of the blade. However, larger blades will bring you longer cuts and have more power.
2) Laser guides
If you need very accurate and clean cuts, getting a laser with your saw may be a good idea. A laser will be your guide, as it projects a beam onto the wood that you can follow, and you’ll be able to see where the cut will be made before you actually complete it. This not only reduces risk, but is also safer.
3) Sliding or compound?
Again, this will depend on your intent. A compound saw is great for simple projects that need cuts on two planes, such as crown molding or picture frames. Sliding miter saws can move backwards and forwards, so you can increase the length of your cut. This is great for long boards, logs, or lumber.
Where Can I Buy One, and Which One Should I Get?
You can find miter saws on Amazon, as well as any hardware or home improvement store, such as Lowe’s or Home Depot.
When it comes to which one, there are some top brands you can check out, including Dewalt and Hitachi. To get you started, here are some of the best miter saws:
- Dewalt 15-Amp 12-Inch Single-Bevel Compound Miter Saw. This is simple to use and has easy control.
- Dewalt 12-Inch Sliding Compound Miter Saw. This one is lightweight, has great power, and is easy to use.
- Hitachi 15-Amp 10-Inch Single Bevel Compound Miter Saw. This delivers accurate and precise cuts, and is excellent if you’re a beginner.
- Dewalt 12-Inch Double Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw. This one has high speed and an LED light that helps you achieve accuracy, with lots of power.
- Makita 10-Inch Dual Slide Compound Miter Saw with Laser. If you’re cutting crown molding, this one is often the top recommended.
Now that you have a solid start, you can make great choices as you explore the miter saw market.