Furnace repair vs Furnace replacement

Furnace repair vs Furnace replacement

When winter is around the corner, you should ensure that you are armed with a functional furnace. It is at such a time that you should decide whether you want a new furnace or have the current unit repaired. Repairing an existing furnace will obviously cost less money than buying a new one. However, there are damages that can’t be corrected by a HVAC technician. In such a case, you have to budget for a new furnace. It’s therefore important to weigh the options so that you can make an informed decision. Below are some of the things to consider when torn between investing in a new furnace and repairing the one you are currently using.

Poor Performance

The performance of the furnace should be used as a criteria for choosing between getting a replacement and repairing it. If there are just a few parts that need to be maintained such as a loose belt, blocked air vent and some abnormal noise that’s heard when the furnace is turned on and the bill remains constantly low, it’s better to repair the worn out parts because such repairs will require less money.

In fact, you will just buy the specific parts and pay the HVAC technician to fix them for you. But if the furnace breaks down completely to an extent where there is no heat being generated in the room and the monthly bill keeps on swelling, you should not hesitate in acquiring a new model. If you don’t act fast, the bills will strain your pockets and you will be left vulnerable to illnesses that are associated with snow. If you are not sure on what to do you should consult respected professionals like furnace repair in Denver Co because they can offer helpful insights from a professional point of view.




AFUE

Furnace efficiency is measured by annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE). Now all new furnaces must display their AFUE so consumers can compare heating efficiencies of various models. In general, AFUE is a measure of how efficient the appliance is in converting the energy in its fuel to heat over the course of a typical year.

For instance, AFUE of 90% means that 90% of the energy in the fuel becomes heat for the home and the other 10% escapes up the chimney and elsewhere. You must be aware that AFUE doesn’t include the heat losses of the duct system or piping. This loses can be as much as 35% of the energy for output of the furnace when ducts are located in the attic, garage, or other partially conditioned or unconditioned space.
Furnace repair vs Furnace replacement - AFUE

For electric furnaces, the AFUE rating is between 95% and 100% because there are no loses through the chimney. The lower values are for units installed outdoors because they have greater jacket heat loss. However, despite their high efficiency, the higher cost of electricity in most parts of the country makes electric furnaces an uneconomic choice. If you are interested in electric heating, consider installing a heat pump system.

Dwindling Health

A furnace that’s not functioning well is likely to emit carbon monoxide. If this gas leaks out of the appliance, it might pose serious health risks to your family. Repairing the furnace is supposed to solve the problem once and for all. But if this does not help and you have had to seek medical help after inhaling such gas, you should shop for a new furnace right away.

An intoxicated air contains allergens that induce certain conditions such as allergies, skin irritation and asthma. A furnace that causes you to be sick will only cause havoc in your finances due to the fact that you will have to be hospitalized at some point in your life. There are actually some homeowners that have lost their lives in the recent past because they were exposed to this gas. A new furnace guarantees that the air in your home is free from toxins.


Old Age

All appliances come with a lifespan. If you want to learn how to prolong the lifespan of your appliances you can check out our guide on How to prolong the lifespan of major home appliances. A furnace is designed to last up to 10 years. If the furnace has not been used for such many years, it can still be revived by the magic of a HVAC technician. But as the furnace ages, maintenance repair becomes a waste of time and money. Once a furnace has reached the end of its lifespan, malfunctions will persist regardless of how often it’s repaired. In such a situation, you have no choice except to replace it as soon as you can.

Thank you for sharing, Handyman tips team!
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.